Have you ever felt like your clients, family or friends don’t value your time?
Do you feel stressed on a daily basis because you say Yes to people’s requests?
People tend to devalue your efforts and every time you say yes and it isn’t helping anyone, specially not you, in time you’ll become more stressed and make a lot less money!
When you start a business or even after several years of being in business we say yes to clients simply because we want them to be happy. But the fact is that you saying yes to everyone doesn’t make everyone happy specially not you!. People tend to devalue your efforts and every time you say yes and it isn’t helping anyone, specially not you, in time you’ll become more stressed and make a lot less money!
So how do you say no?
- When you have someone asking for you for something you don’t want to do or can’t simply ask yourself:
- Do I truly want to do this?
- What do I gain out of doing this task or attending this function?
- What has this person done for me lately?
- What else will I do with my time if I don’t do this?
If then you decide to say no:
Be quick. If someone is asking something of you and you do not want to do it simply decline immediately. That way that person can make other plans.
Be clear and honest. Explain in a clear way why you can’t do it.. perhaps you have other commitments, you’re overbooked. Family, etc..
Suggest an alternative solution. Refer someone you know can do this task (networking). Or suggest and alternate solution.
Here are five things you get by saying no:
- More time to take care of things pending and or grow your business/relationships
- Power to be more in control of your life.
- Confidence to say no more often. The first time is the hardest.
- Safety from overextending yourself.
- Opportunities you didn’t even know were out there. Since you are more available, you’ll find them!
- Remember that you are in control of your life, this is why you started your business to have a better life. So don’t let saying yes to everyone hinder you from the success you can have.